pm2 1

The first ODI match between SA and ENG abandoned again after Hotel Staff tested positive for Covid-19

i
ESPN Cricinfo

The rescheduled first ODI match between South Africa and England has been suspended after two hotel staff members tested positive for the Coronavirus. 

The first of three ODI matches were rescheduled in Paarl on Sunday, has been abandoned after two staff members of the hotel where the players have stayed tested positive for Coronavirus. Initially, the match wk8as delayed after the tests of staff members came positive, but then the game was called off. The first ODI match was scheduled on Friday, December 4th but it was postponed after a South African player tested positive for Covid-19.

“JUST IN: The first ODI between South Africa and England has been suspended after staff at the hotel England was staying in tested positive for COVID-19,”

ICC quoted this tweet with the picture of Morgan and De Kock.

“The England players and management underwent an additional round of PCR tests on Saturday evening, after two members of the hotel staff testing positive for COVID-19,”

CSA said in a statement earlier today when it was announced that the match is delayed.

“CSA is doing everything in our power to ensure that our top priority, which is the health, safety and welfare of players, support staff and all involved in this series, is safeguarded. With that in mind, we have made the joint decision to cancel today’s match,”

said CSA Director of Cricket, Graeme Smith. 

The former England captain, Mike Atherton who is now working as a commentator and journalist, said that he feared the whole series could be under a severe threat.

Mike said that suddenly the cases had “ramped up” the concern for England camp who initially felt it after the opening match which had been played in Cape Town on Friday, December 4th. Still, it was postponed after a South African player tested positive for Covid-19.

“Certainly this match is off and I would be pessimistic about the other games,”

Atherton said this on a news agency AFP.

 Both the CSA and ECB cricket boards are in touch with each other. They said that the health and well-being of players and staff members is their top priority. They have made a joint decision in the cancellation of first ODI. The decision on other matches is under consideration. It will be decided after the individual test results checked by medical experts.