On the eve of the draught, Mitchell Starc withdraws from the Men’s Hundred
After removing his name from the long list for the Thursday tournament drought, Mitchell Starc will be a well-known absence from this year’s Men’s Hundred.
Starc is now in India with the Australian ODI team, where his five-wicket haul in the second game on Sunday made it possible for Australia to win the series 2-1.
Starc claimed that for nearly ten years, he has stuck to his game plan and that he intends to continue doing so.
“My plan hasn’t changed for 13 years: bowl full, hit the stumps, try to swing it,”Starc said.
“That’s been my role for a long time, to try to get wickets up front in the powerplay. At times that means I’m probably more expensive, but I’m trying to bring in all modes of dismissal, so it’s certainly not a new game plan these last two games.”
Before concentrating on the 50-over World Cup, which will take place in India in October and November, Starc stated that Australia will concentrate on winning the series in Chennai on Wednesday.
“We now move on to Chennai, where we’ve got a chance in the decider … once we get past that game and then it’s probably more of a focus on the World Cup,”Starc said.
“There’s parts of this series where the World Cup will be in the back of your mind, but I think predominantly for this group, we’ve still got a chance to win a one-day series in India, which is pretty special.”
He was one of the few Australians with experience in multiple formats to submit his name for this year’s competition, which is set to begin one day after the fifth Ashes Test is expected to conclude.
Even though the Northern Superchargers, where Starc’s wife Alyssa Healy plays, did not have openings in that price level when he applied for the tournament last month, if any of the five open £125,000 spots for foreign players had been available.
Starc had been projected as the Superchargers’ top pick in the 2022 draft as well, but he withdrew just before the registration deadline.
Jhye Richardson of Australia and the South African trio of Anrich Nortje, Aiden Markram, and Tristan Stubbs are among the notable international athletes who have also withdrawn from the men’s and women’s draughts.
This week, Nortje was introduced as a star selection for the Washington (DC) Freedom in the first-ever Major League Cricket season in the United States. The season is scheduled to run from July 13 to July 30, with the Hundred beginning two days later on August 1.
Together with Meg Lanning, Ashleigh Gardner, and Tahlia McGrath, who just signed rich contracts for the first Women’s Premier League in India, Megan Schutt, Annabel Sutherland, and Tayla Vlaeminck are notable absentees. Before he joined Welsh Fire, Sutherland was a player who was retained.
According to news, Laurie Evans, who won Player of the Match honors in the 2022 Big Bash Final, has been picked in the draft after the provisional suspension he received for testing positive for a prohibited substance was removed.
Ben Foakes, an England Test wicketkeeper, and Tamim Iqbal, a Bangladeshi, are two other significant entrants to the selection.