2023 World Cup schedule will be changed a bit, says BCCI secretary Jay Shah
The secretary of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), Jay Shah, has informed that the schedule for the upcoming 50 over World Cup so decided in India from October 5 to November 19 this year will be going through some changes, post the approval or consultation with the International Cricket Council (ICC).
India will be hosting the 50 over World Cup after a gap of 13 years since they had hosted the tournament back in 2011 when they also won the title to become the first hosting to do so. MS Dhoni and his men had created history by ending a drought of 28 years since India had won their first ever World Cup title in the year 1983 under the captaincy of Kapil Dev.
The BCCI secretary has confirmed that the schedule for the 2023 World Cup will be undergoing some changes as three member countries have requested for more gaps in some of their matches in the schedule, which was declared to the world earlier this month after a long delay.
The development comes after it was reported in the media that the all-important match between India and Pakistan for the 50 over World Cup, scheduled to be played at the world’s largest cricket stadium in Ahmedabad on October 15, will be preponed by one day.
Due to a festival which is an integral part of the community living in the state of Gujarat, it has been suggested that India and Pakistan must play on October 14 and not October 15 as decided by the ICC announced during its schedule announcement for the mega tournament.
According to a report in ESPNcricinfo, other member boards have also written to the BCCI saying that they are facing logistical issues during the tournament since some of their matches lined up close to each other. Jay Shah did not name which these countries are apparently.
The BCCI boss told the media after their meeting,
”There is a possibility there could be few changes in the schedule. Several Full Member countries have written in requesting to change two or three dates in the schedule. We are working out with the ICC, and we should be able to clear it in two or three days.”
The BCCI secretary, who is also the head of the Asian Cricket Council (ACC), categorically said that there were no security concerns to the matches and it is only because of logistical issues that it has emerged that they will have to rework the schedule a little for the World Cup.
“If security was an issue then why would the match go there (to Ahmedabad). [October] 14-15 is not the problem. Two or three boards have written in, asking to change based on the logistical challenges. There are some matches where there is only a two-day gap, so it will be difficult to play and then travel the next day [and then play again],”Jay Shah said.
Jay Shah, who is also the son of India’s home Minister Amit Shah, said that none of the venues for the World Cup matches would be changed and only the dates could perhaps go through revision as the ICC will give its final approval.
“As far as possible, we are looking at not changing the venue as well as the matches. Not changing the venue is very important. Teams which have six-day gaps between matches, we are trying to reduce it to four-five days; and those that have just two-day gaps, we are trying to increase to three days,”Jay Shah added.