Trent Boult to be released from NZC central contract￼
New Zealand Cricket Board (NZC) has agreed to release its A category fast bowler Trent Boult from their central contract. The 33-year-old has made a request to the board and after several conversations; the board has agreed to release him from the contract.
Trent Boult took this step (New Zealand Cricket Board (NZC) has agreed to release its A category fast bowler Trent Boult from their central contract) to spend more time with his family and also to make himself available for the domestic leagues in the world.
In the last spell of his career, Boult will significantly reduce his role for the national side while still being eligible for the selection when required.
“We respect Trent’s position,”NZC chief executive White said on Wednesday (August 10). “He’s been completely honest and up-front with us about his reasoning and, while we’re sad to be losing him as a fully-contracted player, he leaves with our best wishes and our sincere thanks.
“Trent’s made a massive contribution to the BLACKCAPS since his Test debut in late 2011 and is now considered one of the best multi-format cricketers in the world. We’re very proud of what he’s achieved.”
White added that the priorities will be only given to the players who are in a central contract for New Zealand either in a central or domestic contract, and Boult understands the situation.
“We’ve had several conversations and I know Trent understands that, in terms of selection, NZC will continue to make a priority of those players with either central or domestic contracts.”
The left-arm pacer has so far featured in 78 Test matches, 93 ODIs and 44 T20Is said that it was a tough decision to call but he had to make it considering his young family.
“This has been a really tough decision for me and I’d like to thank NZC for their support in getting to this point. Playing cricket for my country was a childhood dream and I’m so proud of everything I’ve been able to achieve with the BLACKCAPS over the past 12 years.
“Ultimately this decision is about my wife Gert and our three young boys. The family has always been the biggest motivator for me and I feel comfortable with putting it first and preparing ourselves for life after cricket,”Boult said.
The pacer also acknowledged that this move will impact his chances of going further but also understands that this was the right time to make that decision.
“I still have a big desire to represent my country and feel I have the skills to deliver at an international level. However, I respect the fact that not having a national contract will affect my chances of selection.
“Having said that, as a fast bowler I know I have a limited career span, and I feel the time is right to move into this next phase,”he said.